The countdown is on!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Training Schedule

Mmmkay, so if anyone's interested and/or curious, I'm posting the training plan I'm somewhat following...or plan to follow...or I should probably say hope to follow. It comes from this book (which I've read exactly one chapter of. I had too many issues of "Women's Health" to catch up on). It's 19 weeks long, and the race is about 23 weeks away, which gives me just enough cushion for those not-even-remotely-interested-in-running weeks, i.e. my birthday, cruise to the Bahamas in April, etc..

Keep in mind, this is a run/walk plan. There's no way in h I would try running this entire thing at the first crack. I'm crazy, not stupid. Also, "Cross Train" refers to any type of weights/strength training activity, but it should be 45 minutes-1 hour. Here we go:

Week # /Sun/ Mon/ Tues/ Wed/ Thurs/ Fri/ Sat

1. 35 min./ Rest/ 35 min./ 40 min./ Cross train/ Rest/ 45 min.
2. 35 min./ Rest/ 35 min./ 40 min./ Cross train/ Rest/ 50 min.
3. 40 min./ Rest/ 40 min./ 45 min./ Cross train/ Rest/ 60 min.
4. 50 min./ Rest/ 50 min./ 55 min./ Cross train/ Rest/ 60 min.

Not so bad, right? Just wait...

5. 40 min./ Rest/ 45 min./ 40 min./ Cross train/ Rest/ 90 min.
6. 35 min./ Rest/ 45 min./ 40 min./ Cross train/ Rest/ 110 min!!!
7. 45 min./ Rest/ 45 min./ 40 min./ Cross train/ Rest/ 3 miles

After week 7, everything is mileage based, rather than time. Which makes me wonder, what if you're going farther than 3 miles in those earlier trainings? Doesn't matter, I'll be in pain either way.

8. 4 miles/ Rest/ 4 miles/ 5 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 5 miles
9. 4 miles/ Rest/ 5 miles/ 5 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 6 miles
10. 4 miles/ Rest/5 miles 3 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 7 miles
11. 4 miles/ Rest/6 miles 3 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 8 miles
12. 5 miles/ Rest/5 miles 3 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 9 miles
13. 4 miles/ Rest/7 miles 5 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 7 miles
14. 4 miles/ Rest/5 miles 3 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 7 miles
15. 5 miles/ Rest/5 miles 4 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 7 miles
16. 3 miles/ Rest/ 4 miles/ 4 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 12 miles?!

Here's where I would maybe deviate a little bit. I sorta feel like I need to hang out in that 7-10 mile range before jumping all the way up to 12. I'm thinking about doing a week working up to 10, then 12, then back down to 10. At any rate, on with the plan:

17. 4 miles/ Rest/ 5 miles/ 5 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 6 miles
18. 5 miles/ Rest/4 miles/ 5 miles/ Cross train/ Rest/ 4 miles
19.* 4 miles/ 4 miles/ Rest/ Rest/ Rest/ Rest/ Rest
(*or, the week before the race)

Obviously you will have to adjust the timing, since I don't think there is a half-marathon exactly 19 weeks from now. And I'm a firm believer in using your rest days wisely. I'm making Sunday and Friday my rest days, mostly because those are my busiest days personally, and because I think I freaking deserve to rest after going 10 miles on the previous day! Another swap I'm making is having Wednesday be my cross training day. No real reason, just fits my schedule better and because I'm a little bit O.C.D. and feel like it divides the week in half nicely.

If anyone is interested in just a walking training plan, let me know because the book has that too.

I still haven't officially signed up for the race yet. I was going to be all symbolic about it and do it New Year's Day, but I was out of town. Then I found out there is a 10% discount for groups of 10 or more, so I'm waiting to see if I can wrangle 9 other people to sign up with me. Any takers???

That's all for now. Training starts tomorrow. So does school after 2 weeks off. As if Monday weren't bad enough.

Bye!

1 comment:

  1. Curious here... when you have time in your busy schedule wouldn't mind seeing what they put down as the training schedule for the walking plan.

    Keep me up to date on your numbers for the 10 person discount. :-) This might be the goal for June. :-)

    ReplyDelete